I've been following the debate around "free will" for a while now... (you can click on Matt's blog to the right, "Seeking to be Faithful".. he has a series going on this matter starting with this post).
I've read interesting things on this topic the last few days that I thought I'd post:
1 Chronicles 10 contains the account of King Saul's suicide when he realized all hope was lost. His armor bearer refused to assist, so Saul had to fall on his own sword. Yet.. at the end of the chapter the Bible reads "Therefore the LORD put him to death". So the question comes to mind, "Who killed Saul"?
2 Chronicles 10 is the next passage up. Solomon has just died and his son Rehoboam is set to become king of Israel. He was queried by Jeroboam about how he would treat the people. Ignoring the wise advice of he elders he took the foolish advice of his companions. Verse 15 reads "So the king did not listed to the people, for it was a turn of affairs brought about by God that the LORD might fulfill his word..." Why didn't Rehoboam listen to wise council? God prevented it.
This brings me to the last passage I've been thinking about. 2 Timothy 2:22-26. In specific, verse 25 which contains, "God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth".
God is the one who gives repentance.
We certainly can recognize God's sovereignty in all matters... and yes, I would assert that an honest reading of the Bible clearly indicates that God moves human will as He wishes. The above-mentioned scriptures are a few examples.
Where I have begun to love what is often called the doctrine of "Total Depravity" is in tandem with reading Romans 8:5-11. A mind set on the flesh (ie, a person without God's Spirit living in him) can do nothing to please God, is hostile to God and is unable to submit to His law. If God didn't get involved in our affairs, no one would be saved!
1 comment:
Thanks for the plug, Michael. Great passages from Chronicles!
Post a Comment