Sunday, December 7, 2008

Readings in Jeremiah

The other night I was reading Jeremiah 1-8 to my wife...

  1. Guilt that we can not remove or deny
    • Jeremiah 2:22-23
  2. Promise of judgment
    • Jeremiah 2:35
  3. Call to return and a declaration of God's mercy for those that acknowledge their guilt
    • Jeremiah 3:12-13
  4. Another call to repent and God's promise of healing for faithlessness
    • Jeremiah 3:22
  5. Circumcise our hearts lest God's wrath goes forth like fire
    • Jeremiah 4:4
  6. Command to wash their hearts from evil that you may be saved
    • Jeremiah 4:14

I'll cut it short here. To knock it down to a few points:
  • giving proof of wickedness
  • promise of coming wrath from God
  • command to repent
  • promise of God's mercy for those who do
Sound familiar anyone? I'm real excited as I discover a consistent Gospel throughout the Bible... I used to think the Gospel was only New Testament stuff... WRONG!

1 comment:

Matt said...

Great thoughts, Michael. It truly is exciting to see the gospel of Christ as the unifying theme of all of Scripture.

Blessings,
Matt